This was the first year EVER that one of my kids was an altar server on Christmas, despite their collective 8+ years of service. Little Brother was so excited to be serving in a special day.
So excited, in fact, that he fainted in the middle of the Our Father. TheDad and Middle Sister ran right over to him (she’s a sprinter and is not afraid to use her abilities in church when her brother is passed out on the floor.)
From where I was standing in the musicians’ area (not a choir loft by any stretch of the imagination–more like a choir prison) I couldn’t see him at all, so by the time someone got my attention, there were two other people plus my husband and daughter helping him out.
Our neighbor, a middle-schooler also in the choir, was sitting behind me, so I sent her down to Little Brother with my water bottle.
As it turns out, he was fine–just overheated and dehydrated. Those robes are not made with breathable fabric.
Tonight, he tried to blame his fainting spell on our friend Mr. H, who had teased him before Mass about the hairstyle he’s trying to grow into and pressed down on his head to make the hair stop sticking straight up. The kid looks like Spaceman Spiff.
Big Brother and I were having none of it. His defense: “Abraham Lincoln was shot in the head and he DIED 24 hours later. So I could faint from this.”