How do you witness to your faith?
In his homily last weekend, our deacon observed that people always advise against discussing religion and politics–but no one actually shies away from talking politics. He asked, “why, then, don’t we feel comfortable talking about our faith?”
Maybe we just don’t know how.
The first time I was called upon to share my faith story, I had just returned from a Christ Renews His Parish (ChRHP) retreat. Newly married and new to the area, I was already feeling shy, and I was dismayed to discover that after you’ve attended a ChRHP weekend, you’re expected to be a presenter at the next one. I sat there at the follow-up meeting, listening to other women share dramatic stories of conversion and renewal of faith. I didn’t feel like I had anything to add or contribute; certainly, I had nothing that could compare to those witnesses. Finally I fled the meeting, weeping, and in a full-blown panic attack. I never returned. I felt like a fraud.
We need the right tools to help us evangelize.
Nancy Ward has created a DVD seminar on evangelization that’s designed to help those of us who feel we don’t know how to share our faith. Sharing YOUR Faith Story is a 3-part study on telling our story effectively. It includes
- Sharing Your Conversion Story
- Sharing Your Renewal Story (or healing, miracle or answered prayer)
- 10 Tips for Sharing Your Faith Story (in person, in writing, and on the Internet)
Nancy’s gentle presentation motivates viewers to persevere in prayer and to listen to the encouragement of the Holy Spirit to discover and share their faith.
My favorite section of Nancy’s DVD is Part 3: 10 Tips for Sharing Your Faith Story. (I’m all about tips!) She grounds these tips in Scripture:
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. (1 Peter 3:15)
I’m looking forward to sharing this DVD with the members of our Secular Franciscan fraternity. Each month, we make time for ongoing formation. The lessons in this DVD will help members of our group share our faith more effectively–both within the group and outside it.
Nancy Ward is a fellow member of the Catholic Writers Guild and contributor at CatholicMom.com. She shares her faith at JOYAlive.net.
Would you like a sneak peek of the video?
Here’s a short (4-minute) excerpt:
Nancy is hosting a contest to win a Sharing YOUR Faith Story DVD plus a $25 Amazon gift card. Here’s how you can enter! There are 10 ways to get your name into the weekly drawing for the SYFS DVD and the grand prize of a $25.00 Amazon.com gift card.
- Comment on featured blog of the day (See the schedule below)
- Comment on Sharing YOUR Faith Story now available on DVD! or JOYAlive.net/shop
- Follow featured blog of the day (See schedule below)
- Follow Nancy on Twitter: Twitter.com/@NancyHCWard
- Tweet and Retweet #SharingYOURFaithStory tweets from 10/12 through 10-24 from any source.
- Comment on featured blogger’s Twitter or Facebook post about SYFS
- Comment on Nancy HC Ward new author FB page
- Comment on YouTube Encouragement Excerpt
- Review (1-2 paragraphs) on YouTube Encouragement Excerpt
- Review (1-2 paragraph) on Facebook: Nancy HC Ward
Comments need to include ideas for using Sharing YOUR Faith Story, such as:
- Sharing YOUR Faith Story seminar is ideal for Catholic groups such as . . ..
- I will use Sharing YOUR Faith Story DVD to …..
- Sharing YOUR Faith Story is effective for evangelization because…
- What I like about Sharing YOUR Faith Story DVD is ….
Reviews would be 1-2 paragraphs encouraging ministry leaders to bring Nancy Ward to a Catholic group to present the seminar live.
At the end of this week the name of each supporter will be put in the drawing, once for each incidence listed in 1-8 and twice for 9, 10 – reviews. A DVD will be awarded to the person whose name is drawn. Drawings are held on October 25th and announced on Nancy HC Ward and JOYAlive.net. All entries from both week one and week two are put in the drawing for the $25.00 Amazon.com gift card, awarded Oct 25th.
Featured Blogs to visit this week:
Monday Oct 19 – Lisa Hendey – CatholicMom.com
Tuesday Oct 20 – Jean Heimann – CatholicFire
Wednesday Oct 21 –Barbara Szyszkiewicz – FranciscanMom
Thursday Oct 22 – Melanie Jean Juneau – CatholicMom.com, Joy of Nine, Association of Catholic Women Bloggers
Friday Oct 23 – Margaret Rose Realy – Morning Rose Prayer Gardens
Saturday Oct 24 – Sarah Reinhard – Snoring Scholar
Monday Oct 26 – Contest prize winners for second DVD and $25.00 Amazon.com gift card announced on JOYAlive.net and Facebook Nancy HC Ward.