Advent is more than a time to light candles at the dinner table and eat chocolates of questionable quality from behind the little windows of a cardboard calendar.
There’s much more to this holy season than shenanigans involving wax and flames. It’s the beginning of the Church year: a new year, a fresh start, a time to prepare our souls for the coming of the Savior.
This year, Advent begins December 3. But you can start getting ready now by purchasing your copy of Sacred Reading: The 2018 Guide to Daily Prayer.
Ave Maria Press publishes this annual prayer book, which highlights the gospel reading for each day in a simple lectio divina framework.
Don’t let the words “lectio divina” intimidate you just because they’re Latin. This book outlines a six-step process each day for praying with that day’s gospel reading:
- Know that God is present and ready to converse. A short opening prayer helps you place yourself in the presence of God.
- Read the gospel. The entire reading is provided for you; you won’t have to search for it online or in your own Bible.
- Notice what you think and feel as you read the gospel. A brief summary of the reading highlights the important points.
- Pray as you are led for yourself and others. A prayer prompt based on the gospel gets you started; then you are directed to continue in your own words.
- Listen to Jesus. A short meditation written from God to you is provided; then you are invited to consider what else Jesus is saying to you.
- Ask God to show you how to live today. A resolution to act on the gospel wraps up your prayer time.
This easy-to-use prayer guide is appropriate for teens and adults, and provides a wonderful way to enter into the spirit of each day’s gospel readings.
Sacred Reading is available in paperback and Kindle formats. Plan ahead: it’s time to order yours now.
Copyright 2017 Barb Szyszkiewicz, OFS
This post contains Amazon affiliate links; your purchase through these links helps support this blog. Thank you! I was given a free review copy of this book, but no other compensation. Opinions expressed here are mine alone.