1. What food does your best friend not like? My best friend is TheDad and he does not like chocolate, coffee, lemon, or tuna casserole. (More for me!)
2. What is your favorite cookbook? Are you kidding me? I have over 100! You expect me to pick? How about my top 3: Better Homes & Gardens Baking Book, Dining on a Dime, and the most recent church cookbook published at my parish.
3. Are you more of a sushi person or a lamb person? Lamb, definitely. I like my fish cooked.
4. Given a choice of something fried and salty or something baked and sweet, what would you choose? That depends on what time of the month I am making this choice.
5. Do you buy whole chickens and boil them and pick the meat off or does that gross you out? Do your children know what a whole chicken looks like or do they think they are made up of four breasts? I buy whole chickens and roast them and then carve off all the meat. My kids definitely know what whole chickens look like. I get the biggest Oven Stuffer I can find at the store and we get 3 meals from it: roast chicken, some sort of casserole with cubed cooked chicken, and soup.
6. How do you feel about butter, sour cream, cream cheese, and half and half? Bring it on! And none of that low-fat kind either!
7. (Skip this question if you are a vegetarian) If you are a carnivore, would you be willing to hunt or butcher your meat? Or to watch someone do that for you or would you rather not think of it? Or are you grateful for the animal who gave its life to sustain your life? EWWWWW on the hunting and butchering. I love meat but don’t make me kill it. I will deal with raw meat to the extent that I must do that “out of the supermarket package, trim to my family’s needs, then cook.”
8. What is the most exotic ingredient or spice in your cupboard? Saffron, cardamom, juniper berries, and Thai fish sauce from the Asian grocery store.
TAG! If you’re interested, please play along! Let me know in the comments if you play.
Rosemary tagged me for the ABC meme. The rule for this meme is that using the 26 letters of the alphabet you will express who you are, what you do, your interests, what matters to you etc….and you have to write it within 26 minutes…
A – Aprons, my domestic uniform
B – Blue, my favorite color
C – Coffee, my favorite beverage
D – Daisy, a flower I have always liked
E – Early morning, my favorite time if day if I get a chance for quiet before other people are up
F – Franciscan
G – Guitar, the instrument I play
H – Hoodies, my favorite “what-not-to-wear” clothing item
I – Irish
J – Jacks, a game I’ve always enjoyed and been good at playing. In grade school my knuckles were always raw from playing jacks on the concrete playground!
K – Kitchen, where you’ll often find me cooking or baking
L – Lilac, my very favorite flower
M – Milky Ways, the best candy EVER
N – Notre Dame
O – Organ, the instrument I wish I could learn to play
P – Prayer
Q – Quiet (how I like it in my house)
R – Reading, which I like to do when it’s quiet (but will do regardless of noise level)
S – Serenity, my virtue-to-work-on this year
T – Teacher (my alter ego)
U – Underwater, where I am afraid to be. Just call me “Timid Nonswimmer” since that’s the swimming class I barely passed in college.
V – Vera Bradley–her handbags rock!
W – Water, something I should drink more of
X – X-Files, TheDad’s favorite show which never fails to creep me out. I can’t even be in the room when he watches it!
Y – Yellow, my favorite color during my childhood
Z – Zing! I can be sarcastic–sometimes too much so.
TAG! If you haven’t played this one yet, I tag YOU! Let me know in the combox if you play.
List your 5 favorite Gospel parables, and tag 5 people.
In no particular order:
1. The Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-37) 2. The Pharisee and the Tax Collector (Luke 18:10-14) 3. The Lost Sheep (Luke 15:4-7) 4. Ask and you Shall Receive (Luke 11:5-13) 5. The Sower and the Seed (Luke 8:4-15)
1. Do you wear a name tag at work? No. All my kids know my name by now.
2. What kind of car do you drive? Chevy Uplander
3. What do you order when you go to Taco Bell? I cannot believe how many people do not eat at Taco Hell! I have one within walking distance, which means that I can have my fill of Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes and Spicy Chicken Soft Tacos. YUM! Hmm, what’s for lunch?
4. Have you ever had a garage sale? No
5. What color is your iPod? I have an mp3 player, not an iPod. It’s white and has a cool blue glow when it’s turned on.
6. What kind of dog do you have? None.
7. What’s for dinner tonight? It will be just me and Little Brother. We’re probably having hot dogs.
8. What is the last alcoholic beverage you had? That was probably my senior year in college. I don’t drink alcohol.
9. Stupidest thing you ever did with your cell phone? Dialed someone without realizing it because the phone was not “locked” and something bumped it in my purse.
10. Last time you were sick? Fall 2007.
11. How long is your hair? About shoulder-length, but I did trim my bangs last week. I can’t keep away from the scissors once the bangs get in my eyes.
12. Are you happy right now? For the most part….
13. What did you say last? “Hi, Adventure Boy! Come on in!”
14. Who came over last? Adventure Boy and Girl Next Door
15. Do you drink beer? No
16. Have your brothers or sisters ever told you that you were adopted? I doubt it. They usually tell me that I am my mom’s “clone” since we look, speak and think very much alike (but she got the curly hair).
17. What is your favorite key chain on your keys? The cool “boomerang” one that an Australian pen pal sent me.
18. What did you get for graduation? Which time?
19. Whats in your pocket? These pants don’t have pockets, unfortunately.
20. Who introduced you to Dane Cook? Who?
21. Has someone ever made you a Build-A-Bear? No
22. What DVD is in your DVD player? Whatever’s in there, it’s not mine.
23. What’s something fun you did today? Listened to my new Eagles album! Let’s play it again! (The kids love it sooooo much!)
24. Who is/was the principal of your high school? Sister Pat
25. Has your house ever been TP’d? Not my house, but the big pine tree in front was, once. I still think my kids did it but they insist they’re innocent.
26. What do you think of when you hear the word “meow”? Girls being catty.
27. What are you listening to right now? Little Brother and his friends playing the Wii.
28. Drinking? Coffee (decaf), of course!
29. What is your favorite aisle at Wal-Mart? Whatever’s on sale.
30. When is your mom’s birthday? July 2
31. When is your birthday? July 28
32. What’s the area code for your cell phone? One of the NJ area codes
33. Where did you buy the shirt you’re wearing now? Land’s End
34. Is there anything hanging from your rear view mirror? No – too distracting for me
35. How many states in the US have you been to? 36
36. What kind of milk do you drink? Whole milk, white, icy cold.
37. What are you going to do after this? Probably more laundry, then work on taking down Christmas decorations.
38. Who was the last person you went shopping with? Middle Sister and Little Brother. We got some bargains at Old Navy!
39. What is your favorite fruit? Pineapple
40. What about your favorite dessert? Coffee ice cream
41. What is something you need to go shopping for? A new sofa
42. Do you have the same name as one of your relatives? Yes
43. What kind of car does one of your siblings drive? Ford Explorer
44. Do you like pickles? Yes, especially the sour, garlicky ones.
45. How about olives? Sure, but I don’t like the pits.
46. What is your favorite kind of gum? Cinnamon
47. What is your favorite kind of juice? Ruby Red grapefruit juice
48. Do you have any tan lines? That would mean I’d have to have a TAN. I have burn lines….
49. What hospital were you born in? a North Jersey hospital
1. WHO WERE YOU NAMED AFTER? My middle name is the same as my mom’s first name. That’s as close as I get.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? Today at church when we sang “Drummer Boy.” I never fail to cry when I sing that song. (Yes, I know, it’s not appropriate to sing that one in church. I have no control over the choice of music.)
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? I could do better
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT? Ham, sliced really thin (and served on seeded rye bread with good mustard)
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS? Yes
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? I don’t know
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? Way more than I should.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yes
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? You couldn’t pay me enough.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Honeycomb, though now I only like the generic kind because the brand-name kind has been “improved.”
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? No
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? Yes
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM? Coffee
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? How tall they are
15. RED OR PINK? pink
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOU? I don’t know.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? My family; they are over 2 hours away.
18. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? Khaki pants and my new awesome brown shoes
19. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? some amazing chocolate cake with fudge icing
2o. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? the hum of my laptop “cooling tower”
21. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? periwinkle
22. FAVORITE SMELLS? baking bread
23. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? Middle Sister
24. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Yes
25. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? Notre Dame football, or basketball
26. HAIR COLOR? brown, with some gray creeping in
27. EYE COLOR? brown
28. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? No! Never! I can’t stand anything in my eyes.
29. FAVORITE FOOD? My tastes are all over the map so this answer would change weekly!
30. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Happy endings
31. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? In theatres? I have no idea.
32. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? black
33. SUMMER OR WINTER? I hate extremes of weather! Fall and spring are my favorites!
34. HUGS OR KISSES? Hugs
35. FAVORITE DESSERT? Coffee ice cream
36. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? I’m between books at the moment but I have a tall stack waiting for me
37. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? I don’t use one
38. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT? Absolutely nothing
42. FAVORITE SOUND? Silence
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Beatles
44. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME? Ireland
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? nothing exceptional
46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? closer to the North Pole than where I currently live!
The idea… it’s a game of tag with a difference, rather than looking inwardly, we look outside ourselves and bless, praise and pray for one blog friend. By participating in this endeavour we not only make the recipient of the blessing feel valued and appreciated, but we are having some fun too. We’re going to see how far the bloggin’ blessings can travel around the world and how many people can be blessed! Recipients of a bloggin’ blessing may upload the above image to their sidebar if they choose to. If you recieve a bloggin’ blessing please leave a comment on this thread so that we can rejoice in just how many blessings have been sent around the world!
I bless Aimee, Sara and Michelle because I can always count on them to keep it real! They are funny, faithful, encouraging and very human. They are able to see the humor in a situation, and not afraid to let their faith shine through.
A Prayer for Aimee, Sara and Michelle…may the blessing of almighty God, of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, come down upon you and remain with you forever. Amen.
and that’s it, nearly…
So, all these 3 now have to do is to:
a) bless 3 blog buddies each. b) Include the ‘God Bless you’ image in their post. c) Explain briefly why they are blessing the people they are blessing. d) pray/include in the post the prayer for the recipients of the blessing. e)The recipient/sender of a blessing should type in the com box of this very post that a blessing has been sent to them so we can keep track of how many blessings are being given. For easy reference a link to this post will make it into Debbie’s sidebar.
I’ll have to make do with this one: 1. My collection of over 100 cookbooks (there are more in the dining room that didn’t fit on this shelf). You can never have too many cookbooks, despite what TheDad thinks. 2. We don’t eat in our kitchen. Once Little Brother outgrew the high chair (liberating the corner for my fabulous cookbook shelf) we couldn’t all fit at the small kitchen table. So now we eat all our meals in the dining room and have nearly completed our mission to ruin the carpet in there.
3. My kitchen table belonged to my Granma Josie. My parents had given it to her, and I know she spent many hours there each day. Her kitchen was her headquarters. It’s where she cooked, baked, did crossword puzzles, prayed and visited with her grandchildren. After she passed away, my dad asked me if I wanted the table. I like to bake here too.
4. That cool recipe box/cookbook holder was made by one of my mom’s students when she taught at a technical high school.
5. I like to reorganize my kitchen cabinets and counters. I promised TheDad that I wouldn’t relocate any of the stuff he needs to know how to find: skillets, his coffee, dishes and silverware. As for the rest of it, he never notices.
6. My toaster oven is a nice big one, to replace the small one that Big Brother burned to a crisp in a quest to scorch his toast (helpful hint: do not double-toast your toast when it’s on the darkest setting. It WILL catch on fire.) This toaster oven has been on fire too, but since it’s bigger, there was no damage to the oven. Bread flambe is pretty dramatic, though. And the birds around here are too proud to eat it, so it will languish in the garden for weeks.
7. Two things you could never convince me to live without in a kitchen: a gas stove, and an extra-deep sink.
8. And because I am completely incapable of cooking without making a mess all over the kitchen AND myself, it’s important to keep some of these around too: